Sunday 21 August 2016

6 and a half months on

Precisely 195 days ago, I moved in with Rory after living at home my whole life. In the last 6 and a bit months, I've learnt so much about myself  (namely how I cannot budget) and what it's like, pretending to be an adult. First thing's first, you actually have to pay for shit things, like a TV license and a landline *rolling eye emoji*.  Goodbye trainer buying, goodbye MAC makeup, goodbye getting my nails done every two weeks (how high maintenance of me). Welcome to this new way of life.

If you're in the midst of moving into your own home, I will pass on my five wisest bits of wisdom. If you're considering it, take these tips into consideration because some of us have learnt the hard way.

1. SAVE SOME MONEY

Whoooops a diddler. Not my strongest point. Before we moved in, between us we hadn't saved a bean which proved to be a smidge of an issue when wanting to make the house our home. Things you totally take for granted, such as paint, soon add up to cost a fortune so save, save, save before you move in. It'll mean everything you want will be in place far quicker.

2. SET EVERYTHING UP BY DIRECT DEBIT

If you have a terrible memory and work full time, remembering to pay for the gas, electric, water, Sky, home insurance and any other bills will prove to be difficult. This will save you so much unnecessary stress and will mean you won't get the hideous reminders through the post about 
forgotten bills.

3. BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU LIGHT CANDLES


Did you know window sills can catch fire? Yep, me neither. They can though, as I learnt from first hand experience. They melt and they turn brown, who knew?

4. ALWAYS HAVE SPARE LIGHTBULBS


There is nothing more distressing than wanting to eat later in the evening and your lightbulbs in the kitchen all being blown. There are only 3 options at this point; not to eat, use your phone as a torch to navigate or fumble to the fridge and use the light inside as your light source. *NB - also make sure your lazy arsed boyfriend will fit said lightbulbs.

5. STAY FRIENDS WITH YOUR PARENTS


This is quite self explanatory - especially the week before payday. It's like going food shopping, but FREE!



Do you have some tips for those who have moved out? Or who are moving out? 

xA

No comments:

Post a Comment